Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hey Todd McFarlane

I just finished reading Batman: Year Two - Fear the Reaper. Good graphic novel. Felt like a classic Batman story, only written much more recently. Your art (from Chapter 2 on, since Alan Davis did Chapter 1) fit pretty well.

But the capes, man. What's up with the capes?

I knew you had a cape fetish thing. I'd seen some Spawn stuff. I knew you had this thing where you had to make the cape all angular and forty feet long. And yeah, it looks cool, and for Spawn it's not really a problem I guess (what with his costume being a part of him or whatever), but does it really work for Batman? I'd argue that it doesn't, really. See, Batman's a practical sorta guy, y'know? The whole humongous cape thing doesn't really work for him, even if it does look spiffy.

But hey, I know that's your thing. I'm sure that if Spide-Man had had a cape, it would've been gigantic, too. Hell, I'm surprised you didn't give him one when you were drawing that comic anyway. Besides, this comic was done back in like 1987, when I'm sure you were just trying to get by and draw big capes on any comic character you could. I understand.

So yeah, I'd stick to action figures. Speaking of, any chance of another series of Beatles figures? Those were fab.

No comments: