Tuesday, June 06, 2006

06/06/06

Well, Tuesday was supposedly the day of the Apocalypse. I'm guessing that didn't come true since it's like 12.15 right now.

Re-watched Batman Begins while drawing the comic. Nice to see a good comic book movie, unlike that unmitigated piece o' crap X3. I saw it the night it came out (knowing, in advance, that it probabyl wasn't going to live up to my expectations from the first two), and seriously, did Brett Ratner expect us to just go, "oooh, fight scenes! Pretty!" and completely forget about coherent plot or characterization? Characters were given little to no motivation for their actions, the scenes in the flick just sorta came one after the other with no reason or transition, and the dialogue...oh dear God in Heaven, the dialogue. Anytime Storm and Wolverine were on the screen together and not fighting something, I felt a little piece of me die. How can two such talented actors manage to convey absolutely no emotional depth? Easy: a shitty script. Relationships from the previous flicks were completely ignored, characters didn't so much interact with one another as happen to exist in the same space for no real reason, and the whole thing made me sad. It coulda been so much better.

Superman Returns looks sweet, though. Ghost Rider, on the other hand...who thought Nicholas Cage would make a good superhero? And why, of all characters to pick, did they go with Ghost-freakin'-Rider? He's a flaming skeleton thing who rides a motorcycle. It's just...ugh. Forget it. I'm going to bed now. Enjoy the comic.

3 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

Halle Berry is a good actor? Did you even HEAR about Catwoman?

Chuck Cottrell said...

Well, she did win that Best Actress Oscar for Monster's Ball. I have to assume that wasn't on a day when they were just handing those out to anyone who passed by.

Though come to think of it, she's pretty much sucked in every one of the X-Men films. She got saddled with some pretty sad lines, really.

Okay, I'm revising my statement: Hugh Jackman's not bad, but Halle Berry needs to be stabbed in the face. With lasers.

Anonymous said...

I agree, X3 sucked. I saw it opening night too. Would you believe people brought little kids to watch it? Like four years old?

Anyway, Deus ex boxina -- that's hilarious. :-)