Sunday, August 27, 2006

Where'd everyone go?

Seriously, we've gone from 160 average daily readers a few months ago to about 90. Is it just 'cause it's summer? Or are people not digging what I've been doing lately? Are folks annoyed that Monkey hasn't updated since Christmas? What's the deal, yo?

Honestly, part of me cares about our reader numbers and part of me doesn't. I like to think that what I do (and, of course, what Monkey does when he does comics) is worth reading and that people would want to check it out, but it's sorta depressing when we lose so many readers. Part of it might be, of course, that my update schedule's been a little Piro-like lately, but c'mon, it hasn't been that bad (honestly, I've done more comics in the past three months than Megatokyo has in the past six).

I know it sounds like I'm whining, but I'm really not. I'm mostly just curious. Those of you who are still with us: what do you like about what we're doing? What would you like to see different? What could we improve/change/go back to to make things better? Seriously, y'all are usually pretty quiet, but I'd really like to hear from some of you on this. Drop a line in the comments or email me at crookedhalo42[at]yahoo[dot]com.

4 comments:

Chuck Cottrell said...

Thanks for your input. I'm kinda surprised, too, since I figured we'd ride high on the Schlock Mercenary link for months. Guess I wore out their goodwill by updating sporadically there for awhile.

I'm glad you like the current arc. I don't really know where it's headed or how it'll end, but I'm enjoying writing and drawing it, so that's always a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Dude! That is so, so, so, so bad! You're such a geek! :-)

Oh wait, I got it. That makes me a geek too.

Anonymous said...

I've been away on and off again. I don't check quite as regularly as I used to either, as it's less likely that you've updated since the last time I saw the page. I really miss the days when you had 4 different storylines going on between you and Noise Monkey. I understand that must have been hard to keep up, though.

Chuck Cottrell said...

I miss those days myself. That's just sorta what happens when you make the transition from student to adult and get a significant other, though (given the choice between a comic and my girlfriend, it's almost always my girlfriend). College is really the optimal time for the hobbyist cartoonist: lots of free time, very few obligations, and late nights with little to no consequences. Real-life as an adult is, sadly, not that way (at least, not for me): I've got to wake up early every day, I have to be totally focused all day long, and I'm drained or have a lot of things to do after work (see earlier comment about girlfriend).

HOWEVER! I'm trying to work out a system by which I get my comics done ahead of time (rather than in the hour or so before I go to bed the night before they're posted). There was a time--again, back when I was in college and had loads of free time--that I would have four or even five comics lined up in the queue to be updated on the server. I was ahead. I want to get back to those days (which would also allow me the chance to maybe even update more often, since I sometimes doubt that the Married and soon-to-be Daddy Monkey will ever grace us with more comics).