Sunday, August 03, 2003

Curse of the Stupid People

I like to think I'm a fairly easy-going, tolerant person. I like to believe that I can deal with lots of crap before I finally snap and chew someone's head off, or go into a blind rage and only come back to my senses when the ground is soaked in blood and so are my clothes. But even I have my limits, and I'm getting really tired of dealing with the overwhelming number of stupid people I seem to encounter on a daily basis.

For instance: the other day, I was out taking my daily jog. Some kids--couldn't have been more than 15 or so--are riding around on their bikes. This one kid is riding without using his hands. That in and of itself does not bother me. When I was young, I not only rode without using my hands, I rode without pads or helmets of any of that other crap that parents think makes children safe (back when I was young, you made the kids safe by actually teaching them how to ride the damn things well. If you fell off, it was your own damn fault--you ought to be able to ride better. My elbows and knees possess the scar tissue that attest to this method of learning). No, what annoyed me about this kid was that he was riding without use of his hands because one hand was busy holding a cell phone up to his ear. Now, I understand that cell phones are pretty much here to stay. Much like computers, television, and radios before them, cell phones have taken their place in American culture. Everyone seems to have them. But I don't think children really need them. Honestly, when you're still young enough that you have to ride a bike to get everywhere you're going, do you need a cell phone? Are you that important? I doubt it. To make matters worse, the moron was crossing the street across oncoming traffic. The saddest part of this whole debacle was that the moron wasn't run over, which would have insured that his stupidity was not carried on to the next generation. Not that it would've mattered much--there are still plenty of stupid people out there that his ceasing to be would not have had any sort of statistical significance.

About Friday's Comic

Just so I don't receive an angry email about this or anything: I know it's a stereotype to portray women as wanting to go clothes shopping or whatever. Yes, it is unfair to say that all women just love to go out and spend money on clothes and other such frivolous things. But bear this in mind--most of my close friends are female. With but a few exceptions, I think I have been out clothes shopping with almost every single one of them. Remember--stereotypes exist for a reason, and if you look far enough back, there's probably a basis in reality for them...sometimes.

Demographics Check

So I was thinking yesterday about our readership (I mean our readership beyond Adam's mom). If what I am led to believe is correct, we actually have readers across the country, coast to sunny coast. I know there are people in Virginia, Washington, DC, California, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and even New Jersey who at least tell me they're reading the comic. Granted, I only have their word for it, and in the past folks have often only told me things to keep from hurting my feelings (granted, people've told me things specifically to hurt my feelings before, too. Which just goes to show that people can be dicks, regardless of gender and whether or not they happen to have that particular part of the human anatomy. Dickness knows no gender lines). So perhaps we do have a stake in this Arnold for Governor thing. As the voice of such a diverse group of people, we here at Dim Bulb owe it to our readership, limited as it may be, to bring to you the latest and most entertaining BS we can possibly craft.

Note I said nothing about accuracy. If you want accuracy, watch CNN...wait, no, don't, you probably won't find it there, either.

No comments: