Thursday, January 26, 2006

D'oh

They say the biggest problem with missing an update is that you set a precedent. Once you're late on one, it becomes easy to miss one. Once you miss one, it becomes easy to miss two, then three, then a whole month goes by and you haven't drawn a single damn comic.

Megatokyo is one of the best-known (or worst?) perpetrators of this webcomic crime. There are plenty of others--hell, Keenspace (and now Comic Genesis) was always lousy with the ones who started, got bogged down, and just gave up--but Megatokyo has a good three and a half year head start on me and they've only got 813 comics (this includes the infamous "Shirt Guy Dom" and "Dead Piro Day" strips, which really don't count. I mean, seriously, there's nearly as much filler as there are actual comics). Actions are habit-forming, and bad habits are the easiest to form.

All that being said, no, there's no comic yet for Friday. There will be one when I get home from work. I'm going to take some time this weekend and try to get ahead with the comic--hell, not having to write anymore lesson plans ought to make that easy--and see if I can't crank out something like a buffer. Back when we first started, I had comics ready weeks in advance, sometimes, and I kept cranking them out like nobody's business. That was the advantage of the college (or graduate school, to be more specific) lifestyle: I could draw at work, I had more free time, and I usually didn't have any time in the morning when I had to be awake.

So there should hopefully be a comic up around 7.00 or 8.00 tomorrow evening. Barring that, it'll be up after the auto-update Saturday.

Honestly, this annoys me as much as it probably does you--hell, moreso--but sometimes it just can't be helped. I can't stay up all hours of the night anymore. Folks expect me to be coherent and deal with people at work now, not just poorly-written student-athlete college papers. God, growing up sucks sometimes.

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

I accept no excuse!

I also accept no out of town checks.