Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Perspective

Y'know, it's kind of funny how much a person's pespective can alter reality.

For instance, the perspective of someone who lives in New Orleans at the moment is that Hurricane Katrina just came through and wiped out the entire town. That city won't be up and running for two months at least. Our point of view character is having to figure out where he'll live, how he'll replace all the things that were lost (and deal with losing the things which cannot be replaced)...his life is basically in shambles. Hurricane Katrina means a total alteration of the way his life is being lived, a radical and sudden and complete change in his reality.

Meanwhile, my biggest concern with the aftermath of the hurricane up here in Northern Virginia is that we're going to get a little rain and gas prices are going to go up because of the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico that Katrina shut down. I'm inconvenienced by this devastating act of nature, and that's really it. It's a sobering thought.

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

No kidding. I mean, when I heard that New Orleans was...now a city for the fish, not people, the first thought that crossed my mind was how it kind of sucked that Andria and I wouldn't be able to go back on an anniversary or something and relive that part of our honeymoon.

Then I heard about the deaths and one part of my brain kicked the other part and called it a jerk.